Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Day Eighty: Fools!

I have no great love for April Fool's Day.

Fake headlines. Bogus facebook statuses. Bloggers playing with their more gullible followers. Even the occasional co-worker who's got some fantastic claim which you wouldn't believe any other day of the year, but supposedly it's going to "get you good" on this day.

It's tiresome.

I think the first thing that really bugs me about April Fool's Day is that most people just really aren't very good at it. Look, I understand that a lot of people aren't really funny, and I'm not going to tell you not to tell a joke just because you can't tell it well. I may, however, ask you to stop after awhile, especially if nobody is reciprocating your joke with laughter. It's painful when you don't recognize the difference between patient graciousness and amused interest. Well, April first draws out a LOT of those people. I'm all for a good prank, but please, please, PLEASE let it be a good one. Don't tell me that there's a snake in the men's room, and then in the middle of my best "what the heck are you talking about" look I can muster, shout "April fool's!" and laugh. Yeah, you got me, all right.

And now we have the Internet. Those who lack any semblance of cleverness now have a potential audience of BILLIONS! (Okay, millions) And they my be sports reporters you like to read, they could be Twitter friends of yours, they could be web page editors...who knows? You never know where they'll pop up, and you can't really avoid them, but you can be sure that once they've done their worst, it. Will. Be. Lame!

(With that said, I have to say that I did see/hear a few really good pranks today. Surprisingly, my boss won the day, at least in my book. To me, a good prank is one that everybody laughs long and hard about afterward, especially the pranked, and she got that this afternoon in rehearsal, so kudos, boss!)

The second thing that bugs me most about April Fool's Day is that I wouldn't be able to get in on the festivities, even if I wanted to! Turns out, I throw around so many bogus comments throughout the year that people come to expect them from me. (If you carry regular conversation with me very often, you know what I'm talking about; otherwise, just trust me, it's okay. People like it, and nobody gets hurt) (Also, I am aware this could very possibly put me into the category of people I described a few paragraphs ago, but I've received great encouragement to continue my random, quirky, misleading conversation-starters, so I've stuck with them) An 'April Fool's' would be just another silly side-comment to most of my friends.

Maybe I should declare next April 1 to be April Truth Day, where I only tell the truth all day long with no sarcasm and no silly proposterosities to anybody.

Man...that could have gotten me in trouble once or twice today, now that I think about it.

On second thought, I've got plenty of holidays to celebrate. I think I can let April 1st just sorta slide altogether...