Wednesday, August 19, 2015

Fighting Back

First, I deleted the blogrolls off the side of my page because most of the blogs I follow tell me when they've updated on Twitter, and most of the people I know IRL who blog haven't updated in over a year (or two or three or more) and it makes my blogroll look sad. So, gone. Enjoy a less-obstructed view of the ocean, everybody.

Second:

I get that the Despicable Me Minions are everywhere right now. It makes sense. They've been around for a few years, they're cute, they're downright hilarious (at least in a supporting role, your mileage may vary as headliners), and they just had a movie come out this year that was by far the most marketable film for young kids this summer. The studio and toy industry will milk this for as long as they can. I have a ton of minion McDonald's toys in my house that make all sorts of obnoxious sounds. I have adult friends who collect them. Again, I get it. I have absolutely nothing against the minions.

Lately, however, I've been noticing them popping up in a ton of Internet memes where they just don't seem to fit. I love Internet memes, by the way. You just post a picture and put something funny or poignant that goes with it and boom, you've created a meme. (Although technically I think it's not a meme until it goes viral, but hey, definitions are in constant evolution and there seems to be no term for a meme that you just created to amuse yourself and yourself only, so for the purpose of this discussion--which again, is not a discussion since I've disabled comments, so really for the intent of this discourse--a meme is a picture with those big blocky white letters that you share on social media) I usually laugh out loud at at least one new meme on Facebook per day. But lately pictures of minions have been showing up on memes that have absolutely nothing to do with anything minion related. It's just like, "Here's a snarky comment...and there's a minion!" And people love it and share it and I really have no idea what that's about. Hang on, let me go find an example...



...and then you eat a cupcake?

Oh by the way... MINION IN A CAPE!

I appreciate that this minion looks like even he can't figure out why he's standing next to this particular block of text.


Every woman wants to be reminded that she's beautiful. And that it took a minion to remind you to remind her that she's beautiful.








This one is really sad, and then...o hey, happy little minion!






Et cetera, et cetera, et cetera.

Now I realize online meme generators mean that you can do this with virtually anything, but from what I've seen lately...it's mostly just minions. Just really random minions. And I know I'm not the only one who noticed, because a quick Google search or "Minion memes" reveals a bunch of minion memes featuring minions that say "I hate minion memes." But for whatever reason, minions have become the face of virtually anything anybody wants to say on social media these days.

Well two can play at this game.












Feel free to use these. You're welcome.