Tuesday, November 15, 2011

v2, d423: Kokomo

At some point in my life, I visited my sister in California when she was a band teacher and made a mix CD of songs she had on the computer in her office while she taught some private lessons.  I busted that CD out today while dragging Robbie and Isaac along to Wal-Mart to get the car battery fiasco (don't ask) taken care of.  Things I learned today:

1) Robbie loves the Beatles' Yellow Submarine.  (He didn't know this before today, either)  I'm pretty sure this is true of all children under the age of eight. 

2) In ELO's song Sweet Talkin' Woman, the weird distortion sound at the end of every chorus is actually speaking the words "sweet talkin' woman."  I seriously never realized this!

3) The Kinks' Come Dancing is actually a song about the singer remembering watching his sister go out on dates when he was younger.  For some reason, that's kinda odd to me.

4) I have no desire to ever hear Cats in the Cradle again.  Ever.

5) I know I've mentioned this before, but the underscoring to Disney's Main Street Electrical Parade is really a brilliant piece of music. 

6) Robbie recognizes Louis Armstrong's What a Wonderful World from the first half second of the intro.  Apparently it's a song they play occasionally at his school.  That's kind of amazing.  

7) While listening to the song Kokomo, I came to the realization that, yes, I that is where I want to go.  The song makes it sound so amazing!  Everything sounds so peaceful and laid back!  You just want to lay out on a beach and close your eyes and breathe in sea air and listen to sea gulls and children playing.  I mean, "We'll get there fast and then we'll take it slow."  That doesn't make a whole lot of sense, but it sounds amazing!  I want to take my family, get on a cruise ship, and spend three weeks on Kokomo drinking snow cones (since I don't do cocktails).  Screw bills, car payments, near-unemployment, dead batteries, insomnia, and loneliness.  I want sand castles and drinks from half-coconuts.  When I'm listening to that song, I really start to think that heading to Kokomo would actually solve all of my problems. Except for the one where I don't have much money.  In fact, Kokomo would probably make that one worse.  So Dave suggested I go Occupy something until somebody gives me money.  And that made a lot of sense to me.

Folks, I hereby propose a FOMW Occupy Kokomo operation.  Who's with me??

*****EDIT: And no I don't CARE if Kokomo isn't real!!****