Friday, October 15, 2010

v2, d181: Sing Ho, for a Blog!

One of the many things that has been running me ragged lately is our current kids show, Winnie the Pooh, in which (as I've already mentioned) I'm playing the Bear of Very Little Brain himself.  The entire process has been a joy, and I'm glad to be a part of this production, character, cast, and experience.  I'm very pleased with the result of the past four weeks of rehearsal.  I think we've built one of the stronger shows we've had recently in our children's theater.  My co-stars are all dynamic in their various characters.  The script is by no means extraordinary, but the source material is strong enough and the cast/production team are talented enough that I think we've got a really charming hour of live theatre on our stage. 

On top of that, it's fun, too ;-)

There (in case you haven't already seen it on my Facebook, Abby's blog, or the Players' Flickr) is the cast.  Aren't we endearing?

As for my own work on the show: I think I'm doing a pretty good job.  I can tell there are still some places where I'm missing the mark, and I'm still working on those, but I don't think they're major detractors from the show or the character.  I've discovered I can really relate to Pooh in a lot of ways.  Which many would consider a bad sign.  But there you have it.  Truthfully, though, over the past few years I've been striving to live in more of the "each day is an adventure" world that Pooh resides in: Look around, take it nice and slow, enjoy your friends, help everyone you can, and sing and dance when the fancy hits you.  And let the fancy hit you three to five times a day.  Seems like a good way to live, no? 

Pooh embodies the simplicity and wonder of childhood.  He gets really excited about plans, friends, and snacks.  He will completely derail his day just to help someone else feel better. He likes Cleverness, even if he's not terribly proficient in it.  He knows who he is, and he's comfortable with himself.  He's easily made the fool but rarely embarrassed.  And he regularly composes poetry just because he loves it. He's the sort of fellow who would have probably annoyed the heck out of me eight or nine years ago, but the older I get, the more wisdom I see in the Hundred Acre Wood. 

Okay, I don't want to turn this into a term paper on the philosophy of A. A. Milne's Winnie-The-Pooh stories.  Really, I was just wanting to say the show is up, people are really enjoying it, I'm having a blast with it, I think it's good, and I think I'm not too bad in it, either.  That's all I was going for.  It's late.  I have to get to bed. 

And see what Adventure tomorrow might bring ;-)