Wednesday, April 13, 2011

v2, d316: Don't be sad, but...

...I'm closing down the Wordslinger's Secret blog.

Most of y'all either didn't even know or else had completely forgotten that WBWPrime existed, didn't ya?

See, toward the end of my first go-round on this blog, I started up a secret blog where I was posting some rough drafts and some story ideas in process for a private audience.  I asked if anybody was interested and sent them peoples the invite.  I had one specific story I was working on the most, but I would pop other projects up on it.  Of course, if you've been following it, you know I haven't actually updated it in over a year.  (At least, you think you know that)  And updates were pretty sporadic even before that.  Thing is, I actually have been doing quite a bit of writing on there.  A few different short stories that I've begun and haven't gotten around to finishing yet.  And I hate to leave anybody hanging for months at a time, waiting for me to finish something up.  Also, I hate for that sort of project to become a place that does nothing but collect "Hey, you should update this sometime!" comments, so I'm just going to close it down to the public.  Or the private public, at least.  It still exists, but it exists more like my own private workshop.  Maybe someday some of those projects will see the light of day.  My guess is that most of them won't.  Just me stretching the artistic muscle a bit. Lately, I've been using it to jump-start some of my "I'll bet this is actually a bad idea" ideas or to push myself into places I as a writer don't naturally go.  And I don't think I need to share these experimental exercises.  It was a decent forum for what I originally wanted it to do, but there's no point to keeping up an old story that's 2/3 of the way done and just hoping I don't accidentally hit "publish" instead of "save now" and put something really embarrassing up for friends to see.

So don't be sad.  If I ever come up with something good over there, I'm sure I'll let y'all know about it.  And if you're one of those people who occasionally checks that blog and you suddenly notice you're no longer invited to the party, don't take it personally.  The party's over.

It was a lame party anyway.  They didn't have any punch, the snacks consisted of chickpeas and toast with no spread, and all the music was early-1990's Amy Grant.