Tuesday, April 26, 2011

v2, d324: Filmed In Front of a Live Studio Audience

Today a film crew came to work to spend a full day shooting our 35-minute one-act Christmas comedy, A Christmas of Many Parts.  For one of the takes (I think they shot five?), they wanted an audience to be visible in the first couple of rows, so those of us who weren't in the cast got to play the role of Mike and the Robots (sans snappy commentary and silhouette humor, unfortunately). I understand there was a lot of drama involved as the day unfolded, and I can't imagine how exhausting it must have been to run that show for basically a full eight hour work day, but my part of it was pretty fun once it got started.  I just got to sit and watch a really funny Christmas show performed by some of my favorite actors.  And I was supposed to laugh at all the parts that were supposed to be funny.  And then afterwards, they recorded some "laugh tracks" of the twenty or so of us in the audience.  It was pretty funny, because there we all were, laughing hysterically at absolutely nothing.  Laughter is infectious, though, and after awhile it got so absurd we were laughing at each other laughing (or laughing because we felt like idiots).  After awhile, the guy told us to quit laughing and said "Now let's record some applause."  "Now a little chuckle."  "Now the show has just ended and it's time to go home."  I was like, What sound do you want for that?  Jingling keys?  Small talk?  Stand-up-and-stretch noises?  But apparently that just meant applause again.

On the whole, today was pretty good for me.  We got out the door without incident this morning, I thought Bible study/sharing time went pretty well, we got Kim's disability payments squared away, everything went pretty well at home, Kim, Isaac, and Robbie all got to bed by 9 p.m., Robbie didn't throw a single fit or tantrum and did everything the first time I asked, we had a great supper, and Hawks/Canucks game seven was amazing.  Also, Tarvis' front tooth didn't break off today.  So good times all around.  We'll see if we can make that a theme this week.