Saturday, July 16, 2011

v2, d380: This 'N That

Sorry about no posting yesterday.  I accidentally fell asleep.  I slept for about 10 hours.  Trust me, it was needed.  I think I caught a few winks in my office at church during the last day of VBS. 

****************

As we've discussed on this blog a couple of times, I have the privilege of telling my older son a bedtime story every single night.  Well, every night that I'm home at bedtime, that is.  For about a year, these stories featured some characters I had made up, Harry Bear and Scary Bear.  Within the last few months, however, Robbie has almost exclusively asked for stories about Thomas the Train and his friends.  Folks, Thomas the Train is a train.  There's only so much you can do with that.  So I usually end up saying, more or less, the first thing that comes to mind, and I speak very slowly until I come up with something I haven't used before.  And of course, once I've said something, I really can't take it back, so we occasionally end up with some very un-Thomas like stories.

Where is all of this going?  Last night, Thomas met a cyclops. 

**********

VBS seemed to go very well once it got started.  Everybody really seemed to be having a great time just about all week.  It was a long week, especially since we wouldn't get home until after 9 p.m.  (Robbie's bed time is usually 9 at the latest)  And for some reason, I still can't sleep until about 3 a.m., but I have to get up to run Kim and Robbie to work and school, respectively.   A good week, but man were we exhausted.  I definitely learned a LOT of things I'll do better/differently next year.  (I also learned exactly how much money you could spend on VBS if you wanted to.  Sure, I'll pay $15 for a chart to write the kids' names on!  What a great deal!) 

Anyway, thanks to everyone who prayed I'd make it through the week.  Really, after Monday, there wasn't much left for me to do.  I walked around all Tuesday trying to figure out if I needed to be stressing about anything. 

******************

Apparently, MSN messenger is just DONE with me.  Sorry, Sherri.

***************

Lunchtime conversation today:

Keep in mind, we've been sitting and quietly eating our frozen pizzas.  Suddenly, between bites, Robbie asks, "Why does a cyclops only have one eye?"
Me: Excuse me?
Robbie: How come cyclops only have one eye?
Me: Well...I don't really know, actually.
Robbie: Because that's the way God made them?
Me: Well, no...actually, a cyclops is from another, really old story.  They're not real.
Robbie: Why?
Me: A loooong time ago, somebody made up stories, and they had cyclopes in them, and in those stories they only had one eye.  So it's not real.
Robbie: Why?

I'm not sure what I said next, but I believe it was roughly akin to, "Eat your pizza."