Saturday, August 1, 2009

Day Two-Hundred Two: Festival Wrap

Mmmm....Festival Wrap. Sounds like a tasty Taco Bell treat...

(Side note: Eastland is a ghost town at 1:20 a.m. on a Saturday)

As promised, here's today's short recap of the Cordell Green New Plays Festival:

First off, I really like CATS Theatre. I like their mission, I liked the people that I met, I loved the passion and enthusiasm vibes I got all day while I was there. So, yay CATS.

Second, I think it's worth noting that mine was the only TYA selection in the top six. (And it's hard to compete with things like cancer and romantic comedy when you're writing a kids' fairy tale!)

Third, well, that's where I finished. Third. No cash prize, no production next season.

However, everybody that I talked to seemed to REALLY like the play. I loved getting to meet the kids in the cast (and a couple of the moms, too, who I hung out at Chik Fil A with for dinner). I was impressed by the number of admitted non-Christians who loved the show given it's decided Christian influence and language. (What's this? An example of blatantly Christian art finding acceptance based on its artistic merit? Somebody needs to get on this idea, stat!) I think I made some good contact/relationships up there, and hopefully it'll lead to come productions or other collaborations in the seasons to come.

The festival was a lot of fun. I got to catch three of the other five plays (and from what I heard, I didn't miss much in one of the two that I didn't catch, though I did miss the winning play, of course). Really, really, really had a blast and am glad I was able to come.

Okay, also really 1:40 a.m. now, and I really have to drive 6 hours to get home tomorrow, so I really have to cut this short. (In fairness, you can't really be that disappointed; I warned you yesterday this would probably happen)