Sunday, August 15, 2010

v2, d144: Recommended Reading

* Stephan Pastis, the creator of one of my current favorite comic strips, Pearls Before Swine, keeps a blog that is one of the funniest things I read semi-regularly.  (S'why I linked to it on the left, I suppose)  Through the years, Mr. Pastis and his strips have poked more than just a little bit of fun at many staples of the funny paper industry.  (I don't know if anybody could actually work Bill Keane of Family Circus fame into a murderous rage, but Pastis probably comes pretty close from time to time)  Many times, these jabs come at the expense of some of his closest buddies in comicdom like Darby Conley (Get Fuzzy) or Scott Adams (Dilbert) but that is by no means a hard and fast rule. 

Anyway, Pastis recent blog on the retirement of the comic strip Cathy is, well...surprising.  And very good.  And here.

* Speaking of comics (of course), CBR is doing a countdown of the 75 most memorable moments in DC history.  The results were voted on by fans of the site.  I voted.  And the results are being released 10 at a time. 

* Speaking of...er...minor-league hockey?  Our favorite Aeros blog (okay, the only Aeros blog I'm aware of) is doing a Meet Your Aeros feature.  It's better than my features.  And it's a fun way to get hyped up for the season. 

* XKCD is an often-ranchy online comic strip that I'm not really recommending.  However, this still makes me laugh weeks later.

* You know what's cute?  Baby flamingos.  Baby flamingos are cute.

* Finally, who would have guessed that Scott Pilgrim vs. The World would have ended up only six points behind Inception on the Tomatometer?