Tuesday, March 22, 2011

v2, d307: Dial-A-Story

Here's a classic commercial that has a new meaning for me.  (And everyone needs to watch.  It's only thirty seconds)




These last couple of days have been kind of rough, and not just because the latest project was a bit...turbulent.  See, the last couple of days, I've had to stay at work past Robbie's bed time.  (And last night, Kim's, too)  There also wasn't enough time for me to get Robbie from day care, run home, and get back before my evening shift started, so Kim drove Robbie to day care in the morning and I just got a ride with a coworker, which means I basically didn't see my family at all yesterday.  Unless you want to count early morning, and if you've ever seen me in the early morning, you already know that doesn't count.  I just don't function quite right. I sometimes have conversations (and agree to do things) while I'm actually still asleep.  It's not good.  Anyway, it's tough, and it's even tougher on Kim, who is trying to wrangle two little boys by herself while I'm working.  Robbie's also always a bit extra agitated when he doesn't get to spend time with me at some point in the day.  So last night, during a break in rehearsal, I disappeared for a while and called him on the phone.  They were having dinner, but it was the last break I was going to get before bed time, so I told last night's Harry Bear bedtime story over the phone. It was both touching and heartbreaking at the same time. 

(Tonight was a bit better.  Kim brought the boys to the theater for dinner, and Robbie and I got to run up and down the aisles for a few minutes  before eating.  He behaved much better at home, too) 

This is getting hard.  Between this and my Wednesday and Sunday nights at church, I'm not home much.  And now my Saturday mornings are gone, too, and soon I'll be taking early-early morning bookings again.  I'm already sleeping four or fewer hours per night, and we're getting into heavy tech for Pinocchio tomorrow (preview performance next Tuesday night).  Sooner or later, something has got to break, folks.  And it might end up being me.

That said, I'm still "up." I'm still happy and excited about life.  I'm stoked to be in tech for Pinocchio.  These are good times.  I go from one sleeping child's room to the other's and realize how good I have it right now in the brief moments I'm alert enough to appreciate it.  And those moments are still worth it.

Besides, after that fourth (or fifth?) cup of coffee today, I was feeling pretty dang good!  Yeah!! (I told Tarvis I would post this tonight)