Monday, April 6, 2009

Day Eighty-Five: Sometimes, situations just suck

Right now, there's a situation at my workplace that is bringing me fresh misery every second or third day. It's not the end of the world, and it won't last for too long, but in the meantime, it just kinda sucks. It's dreary and frustrating, and there's not really anything I can do about it, and that makes it worse.

Really, though, that's life. There are few seasons I can point back to when there hasn't been something utterly frustrating going on. Who ever really believed that everything was going to be perfect all the time? Even when 90% of the world is going your way, there's still going to be something that threatens to rain on your parade at any given moment.

And you know what I realized today? That's okay.

Really.

It's not a bad thing to be going through some minor or major crisis at any given point in time. (When you get five or six of 'em ganging up on you, that's another story) I remember one time a few years ago when home life was great, church life was great, but work was terrible. I guess that's why my portfolio o' joy is nice and diversified.

I get joy from the time I get to spend with my family. I look forward to next week, when there will be more of it.

I get joy from the time I spend at church, whether it be Sunday morning, teaching the AWANA kids, or the occasional choir practice I can make.

I get joy from the time I get to spend writing. I fully appreciate the accomplishments that have come from that belabored field lately.

I get joy from my job, far more often than not. Even now, the majority of time I spend at work is good.

So if this particular set of circumstances is going to drive me crazy, I guess that's okay. It's going to pass. It usually does. And then something else will likely take its place.

My hope is in the name of the Lord, Maker of heaven and earth. And as long as He's my constant, I'll be okay when certain situations just suck.