Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Day Eighty-Seven: A Blogging Too Frequent?

First, this.

I'd like to write about how proud I am of the cast of A Phoenix Too Frequent, opening tomorrow night and running through Saturday. For some reason, however, I'm having a great deal of trouble putting that sentiment into words accurately.

I'm really not that good with words when it comes to things that matter. It's a big part of the reason why I tend to shy away from debate and oration. I'm simply not good at communicating the things that I feel passionate about. And that's awfully frustrating quite often. Tonite, for example, I went to Wal Mart and was going to buy congratulatory cards for all the actors, but the cards were all lame. Then I was going to write little notes for everyone, but I couldn't say it quite right, and everything started sounding uncannily hokey and insincere. So I'll probably just give 'em a friendly punch on the arm tomorrow or something.

I'm more of a punch in the arm kinda guy, I guess.

Anyway, I'd invite anybody reading this to come to the show, but apparently all four performances are completely sold out. I don't believe that's ever happened for our Easter program in company history. We're going to give them a great show, even though it won't be the show they're expecting to see.

I'll close tonight with a quote from the playwright, Christopher Fry, a Christian who believed that it was not necessary for God to be named in order for Him to be honored: "Comedy is an escape, not from truth but from despair; a narrow escape into faith."