Monday, May 24, 2010

v2, d76: Bachelor Bloggin #1

First night as a temporary bachelor: Spaghetti O's and tortilla chips for dinner, Sharks and Blackhawks on TV, and an early night to bed (which still results in falling asleep after midnight). Yeah, I'm pretty sure I'd have done fairly well on my own as an adult ;-)

Early morning booking today. Had to be at work at 6:15 to get to the school in Sugar Land by 7. Burger King took a bit longer than expected because the lady who took our order did it wrong, and then she disappeared. It was bizarre. They were trying to track down the lady who'd taken our order, and she was absolutely nowhere to be found. I also had to tell her that this was a To-Go order something like five times during the process.

Conclusion from my 2009-10 touring experiences: Hatcher has a fast-food curse against him. You will not go into a fast food establishment with him and walk out with everything you order. And if you try to correct the mistake, things will just get bizarre.

That said, BK breakfast > Whataburger, McDonald's, and Jack in the Box breakfasts.

By the way, I really feel for Sharks fans right now. It looked like maybe, just maybe, it was actually finally their year. I really wanted this to be their year (now that the Pens and Avs were done, of course), but I didn't actually think they were going to beat the Hawks. But four games to none? That just doesn't seem fair. They were all tight games, and the Sharks probably had the better part of the play for one or two of 'em, but I always felt the Blackhawks were the best team in the NHL all season, and they showed it.

It's been a bad year for predictions in the NHL, especially for me, but I picked the Hawks to win it all this year and I think I'm going to be right on that one.

Habs are down 3 games to 1 to the Flyers. Just the way they like it.

Anyway, keeping my head above water. Doing my best not to feel lonely and sad. Of course, the rest of the touring team had the rest of the day off and fun things planned with loved ones. Couldn't guilt trip them into letting me tag along ;-)

That's a major kid, by the way. I would feel totally awkward crashing someone else's day with parents or being third man in for a romantic afternoon in the sun. If there's anything I've learned from following hockey all these years, it's that the third man in always gets tossed out of the game.

Now, there's never been a rule about the third woman in, so I have to assume that it would theoretically be perfectly legal for a female player to join in a fight between two other players. That little loophole is straight out of Tolkien, and one of these days somebody is going to exploit it.

In the meantime, I'm going to take a walk down to the library for my lunch break, get some work done, and maybe kick out of here a bit early. Since, you know, I've been here since 6:15.