Thursday, May 21, 2009

Day One-Hundred Thirty: Dump and chase

I'm sick today. It's a real bummer, especially following last night's AHL awesomeness. I still went in and worked a full day today, so it's not horrible, but I'm pretty miserable. It's been doing wacky things to my appetite. (For example, today for my lunch break I took a nap on my office floor rather than actually, I don't know, eating lunch, and my body didn't hate me for that decision until about 5:30 p.m.) My guess is that I just need to get a lot of sleep tonight, and then I'll be fine tomorrow. Which will be good, cuz tomorrow is a whopper of a day!

******

I'm so sick of people I've never heard of wanting to follow me on Twitter simply so that I'll check out their blog or their web site or subscribe to their service or contribute to their parenting forum so that their web traffic will impress their sponsors. Friends only, peeps.

******

Several of my friends are down right now. And, you know, that's all right, because as I said earlier this year, sometimes things just suck, and you deal with them and get on with life, and it's really not a big deal.

Nevertheless, it kills me to see people I love (or even people I like) go through a tough time. I want so badly to be able to do something to make it better for them, or to shoulder some of their burden for them. Of course you can't do that, ever, and it's often a bad idea anyway, as crappy circumstances successfully navigated generally lead someone to being a better, stronger, or happier person, and it would be wrong of me to deprive a friend of that. Still. I tend to feel terrible and do anything I possibly can to try to make things better. (I wonder if people have ever taken advantage of this? Acting depressed/pissed off around me = special treatment or gifts or candy more often then not. Hm...)

Bottom line, it's harder for me to see someone I care about go through something rough than it usually is for me to go through something lousy myself. (My super power = empathy?)

******

Saw Small Steps' kindergarten graduation today (Where Not-So-Super Heroes got its world premiere). They had a slide show montage of all the kids who were graduating. Of course, big old sap that I am, I couldn't help but think, "Just a few more years, and that'll be Robbie...sniff...sniff..."

I actually didn't think "sniff...sniff..." I also didn't actually cry, tho my eyes were quite watery because I was yawning so much. Man, I was tired this morning.

The cake was good, though.

******

Great game between the Pens and Canes tonight.

******

On second thought, I'll probably end up skipping Transformers and Terminator at the theater this summer. However, I do know where I'll be this Vets' Day! (Warning: uncanny silliness!)