Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Day Two-Hundred Eighty-Three: Batman vs. Dr. Horrible...sort of...

There's a newer animated Batman series called The Brave and the Bold. This show is pretty much everything the legendary Batman: The Animated Series was not: goofy, gimmicky, all about the guest-starts, and specifically targeted for younger children. Now personally, I loved Batman: The Animated Series. I still do, actually, an if I stumble across and episode on TV I'll generally stop to watch it. That said, I think there's a place for this type of program, too. It seems to be fairly similar to the old Adam West Batman series I grew up on. It's also the equivalent to Marvel's Super Hero Squad series. And I think it's important to give young kids super heroes to cheer for, since mainstream Marvel and DC stuff is clearly not kid-friendly these days. (And don't even get me started on the thousands of parents who brought their five-year-olds to see The Dark Knight at the theaters!)

Anyway, this Friday, Batman and co-hero-of-the-week Black Canary will be taking on The Music Meister (imagine the Pied Piper for grown-ups). MM will be voiced by none other than Neil Patrick Harris, a.k.a. (among many other things) Dr. Horrible from Dr. Horrible's Sing-along Blog. The guy's got a corner on the singing super-villain market currently. (Note to self: find a way to get into the singing super-villain market at some point) Now, honestly, twenty-seven-year-old Bat-fan that I am, I admit I'm a little embarrassed for the Caped Crusader with this particular venture.

Nevertheless, that is an oddly catchy little diddy. (Side bonus: Aquaman solo!)