Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Day Two-Hundred Sixty-Nine: Because God is Awesome Like That

Check it out, Big John Scott is now a Puck Daddy celebrity. Best part of this clip = the slow-motion extreme closeup of Scott's first shot to Parros' jaw.

That George Parros is one tough customer, yo.

Anyway, my home computer has been comatose pretty much since March. We thought for awhile one of Kim's tech guys at her workplace may get to fix it, but he never got back with her. I finally took it to the Geek Squad at Best Buy on Monday. After waiting in line for half an hour, I got a Geek to check it out, poke it, prod it, take stuff out, put stuff in, plug it in, and unplug it again, for about an hour. At the end of this hour, she said she had no idea what was wrong and that it had to be shipped away for a more thorough, professional diagnostic. This, she informs me, will run $200. At the end of this diagnostic, "they" will call me and tell me how much it will cost to actually fix the thing. To quote Blue Lazer, "FAN-FREAKING-TASTIC!"

I come home and tell all of this to my wife. She, understandably, is concerned. We aren't rich people, folks, and while this sort of expense isn't even close to "breaking" us, it's certainly not helping us pay off the credit card any quicker, either. So I tell her that we're still okay, we're going to be okay, God's always provided for everything we've needed--and we've had some sudden demanding expenses in our four-plus years together! "You never know," I said. "I may even sell a script or a story and get a couple hundred dollars in the meantime to help us out. Who knows what could come up?"

The next day...

Got a call from the husband of a co-worker who is currently a high school drama teacher. He's looking for a five-part combo to play for his school's musical, and through a mutual friend, who observed a rather successful night of Rock Band last winter (if such a thing as winter exists in Houston) he'd heard that I played drums, and would I be interested in playing for his school's show? He sent me the dates, I checked them on the calendar, and they're clear.

So now I'm playing drums again (hooray!) for a show (something I've wanted to try for quite some time) and getting paid. Enough to cover the cost of repairing the old computer, I might add.

Sometimes, your faith is tested over long, agonizing periods of time (like the first eight months or so we were in Houston). Other times, you just have to have enough faith to make it to the next night.