Thursday, October 15, 2009

Day Two-Hundred Seventy-Seven: Couscous, Kansas-style

Back when I worked at Horsefeathers and Applesauce (this the year AFTER the drunk choreographer, the lead passing out on me during a show, and the revenge of the rampaging Joseph camel) we set Shakespeare's Twelfth Night in Morocco, so for the dinner portion of our evening, we served closest-to-authentic-you'll-find-in-Kansas couscous. Unlike previous meals, where we served individual plates and entrees, we served the couscous family style and explained that, in a traditional setting, the family would just pass the bowl around and dig in with their hands, picking out however much they wanted. We were also told to encourage our patrons to give this unusual serving method a try.

I suggested this only once. Then I immediately went back to the kitchen to get a serving spoon for the people at my table.

One glance can say oh so much.