Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Day Fifty-Two: I saw "you", you say "blog!"

Another shortie, because I'm not entirely sure how long I can crank out coherent sentences tonight.

I'm tired, kids, because I fell asleep at the regular time (around 2) and woke up an hour early (which was impressive, because I was supposed to wake up at 4:50 a.m. Leap out of bed and shower and ready to go by 5:10, when my ride picks me up to take me to work for the 5:45 call for the 8:30 a.m. show at Commonwealth Elementary.

I have to say, I think I did pretty well, all things considering. I really doubt you could tell that I hadn't even seen the show before yesterday afternoon. I can't recall anything that was left out, and there were no awkward "what comes next?" moments (only awkward "this script is awkward" moments) at any point. The rest of the cast couldn't think of anything I'd blown, either, and the teachers, students, and PTO moms all thought it was fantastic.

So I guess we chalk this one up as a win, aye?

As for today's title: there's a rap at the end of the lecture scene of the play in which we recap the five tactics for preventing violent situations from occurring. Our production has decided to make this an audience participation moment, so with each of the five techniques ("Ignore!" "Move away!" "Tell nice!" "You warn!" "You tell!") we encourage the audience to join us in all of our hip-hoppity glory with something like "When I say 'You,' you say 'Warn!' You!" Unfortunately, there's no audience participation earlier in the script, so the audience has to pick up on it really quickly if they're going to get it at all, and today we had first through third graders...yeah...

"YOU!"
*cricket*
"YOU!"
*cricket*

Oh well. At least the crickets learned the five tactics for preventing violence.