Thursday, March 26, 2009

Day Seventy: Vacation Wrap (Not Vacation Rap. That's totally different)

****Finally catching up for the time I missed while in Oklahoma, here's Sunday's post. Regular day-numbering will resume tomorrow. Today's short post is below*****

Well, my vacation is over tomorrow. It’s been a really fantastic time. Very restful. Very peaceful. It’s been one of those vacations you hadn’t realized you needed. I think perhaps those are the best kind.

Slightly dreading tomorrow’s plane trip. Robbie wasn’t crazy about the first one, but he didn’t really start fussing until the last 10 or 15 minutes. If he follows that path again, I think we’ll be fine, but if he recognizes the early steps of boarding the plane and relates them to the trauma from the end of the last flight, we may be in for a long, embarrassing, painful ride home. My mother informs me this would be payback. Ah, the sympathy of a grandparent. ;-) Also not certain there’ll be anyone at the airport to pick us up, and I was getting all up tight about that before I realized my sermon this morning (out of Habakkuk) was on, among other things, trusting in God’s ability to provide in any and all circumstances. So it would be hypocritical of me to get worked up about that today. Drat.

I hope I haven’t fallen too far behind at work since I’ve been gone. I kind of doubt it, since things were so slow while I was there. On the other hand, there are a couple of things I hope managed to get done while I was away, though I’m not holding out hope there, either.

These next three weeks will be tough. I’ll be in at work all day and then in rehearsals for A Phoenix Too Frequent every night until 10 p.m. as well as rehearsing Saturdays pretty much all afternoon. While this schedule would not kill me in and of itself, I basically won’t see Robbie except for Saturday nights and Sundays, and I’ll see Kim only slightly more than that. I’d appreciate prayers for my family as we try to make this trying schedule work for the best.

If I’m figuring right, this post will be online on Thursday. Man, a lot can happen in four days. I’ve come to realize some things on this trip, some of which I’ve touched on in previous posts, and some of which I’m just going to have to keep to myself for now. I do think I see myself moving back to this area someday. I like living in Houston and have no plans to leave there anytime soon, but I don’t imagine I’ll be there the rest of my life. I don’t even necessarily think that, when I do leave Houston, it’ll be to come back to the Midwest. But I think, at some point, I’ll be back here. We’ll see, though.

All right, this has been a pretty this-and-that post, and those should never get too long. Besides, it’s almost 11 p.m., my family is already asleep, and we have a plane to catch. I think I’ll do a little bit of writing before letting the howling Oklahoma wind attempt to sing me to sleep.

Good night.