Thursday, March 12, 2009

Day Sixty: Will 3, Deadline 0

I, who generally have a problem with self-motivation, seem to rock deadlines like a fishing boat in a hurricane.

First deadline: 50,000 words by the end of November. Finished a week early.

Next deadline: finish novel by the following Saturday. Done on Wednesday.

This deadline: write two one-act plays by the end of Friday. Finished at 1:30 this afternoon.

What's crazy is it seems like I barely write anymore unless I'm under these crazy deadlines, at which point I binge on it and, as they say in the south, "Git er dun."

Incidentally, deadlines up my caffeine intake considerably and screw with my sleep schedule even more so than my career, hobby, and daily schedule normally do.

Of course, when I say I barely write outside of deadlines, I'm not including this blog. Oh, this blog. I have written something, even if just an introduction for a guest blogger, for sixty consecutive days. For those who know me and my struggles with self-discipline, let that sink in for just a moment.

Yeah. Wow.

Daunting: adj. The realization that you still have three-hundred five consecutive days of blogging to meet your specified goal.

It will get quite interesting next November when WannabeWordslinger and NaNoWriMo are fighting for my attention. We may see lots of links posts, guest bloggers, haiku, and facebook-esque memes that month. Or just excerpts from the lesser-explored corners of the Hero Squad universe (currently my planned NaNoWriMo project for 2009).

So, yes. Two plays (scheduled to have readings this Saturday, hence the deadline!), woot. Sixty days of blogs, woot. Three-hundred-plus days left....eh, sure. Woot.