Thursday, July 16, 2009

Day One-Hundred Eighty-Six: Butterfly in the sky, I can go twice as high...

Have I mentioned that I'm constantly starting new projects while in the middle of existing projects?

I already posted this to my facebook, but just so my blog won't be jealous, I'll give you the run-down here: I've decided to start up a new reading project. I posted a request on FB for anybody interested to suggest three books for me to read, and of the three I'll pick two and construct a list of books that, come hell or high water, I will eventually get through. (This idea came just after finishing last night's post, when I realized that I don't usually pick up a book on my own, but will usually read something if someone suggests it to me/hands it to me. Add to that my love of lists and my stubbornness for finishing ambitious projects, and boom goes the dynamite)

I'm not putting a timeline or deadline on this one. I'm just going to start when I can start and keep going until I get done. The suggestions I've already got are really exciting; some are books I've thought about picking up before, others are books I know I probably would not have picked up on my own (pretending they're beside me?).

Here, then, is the plan: tomorrow, I'm going to the library to get my own card. (I know, I know. But I've been mooching off Kim's library card for the past couple of years) I'll also look to see if something on The List is readily available, and I can get started this weekend. I'll finalize The List on Sunday sometime, including the reading order. Next Monday, I'm going to set up a new blog specifically for tracking my progress throughout the (year? two years? who knows?) and collect my thoughts as I finish each book. (Again, more for my benefit than anybody else's, but I'd like to keep a record of this particular journey) I'll update it every Monday as long as I'm able.

As a person who likes to read, but doesn't read very much, but knows he needs to read a lot more, I'm really excited about this. Don't worry, WBW, we're still tight. I'll still be here every day for another half-year. And I won't skimp on Monday content just because I have to write on the other blog. (I'll post a link to it when I get it up and running, in case you're interested) Just wanted to celebrate this new adventure with you. Plus, it gave me something to write about for today ;-)