Monday, December 27, 2010

v2, d240: "Once again the world might fall prey to an ancient evil..."

This song was echoing about through the space between my ears today as I peered down the empty hallway in my office building.

I saw three people there all day, and one was only there for about five minutes while I was. Admittedly, I was with Kim at the doctor's office (regularly scheduled checkup, nothing serious) for most of the morning, but I highly doubt anybody came in from nine till eleven the Monday after Christmas and left before I got there.

It's a lonely day to be at work. Probably because most of the world took Monday as a holiday since Christmas fell on a Saturday.

The other building didn't fare much better. There were two other people when I went over there for what I like to call my Ricshift. We looked up famous stones and origins to well-known phrases. It was work-related, I promise. Even if it wasn't terribly productively work-related.

Now trust me, I'm not complaining. After the stress of the past week and the Christmas weekend, it was nice to have a day where extraordinarily little happened. My days are also starting earlier than usual since I have to be up as soon as Robbie wakes up when we don't have company helping take care of the little rascal. So a slower day was right at my fairly lethargic speed.

We'll see how this week goes. Going into Hobbit rehearsals (assistant director) tomorrow afternoon and preparing for the annual New Year's Eve Gala/Celebration/Event/Shebang. I don't know that we have an official name for it, but it sounds like we've got a decent crowd coming. I don't know that we'll have anybody for Bible study tomorrow morning, since so many folks are still on vacation, but we'll see.

I'm going to try to work up a nice 2010 in review type post soon. I'm not sure what format it'll take, but looking back on the past year I can see it's highly likely that it's not going to be all kicks and giggles. I'll try to intersperse happy music videos or something between catastrophes ;-)

"Can't we do a happy musical next time?"

"If there is a next time, I'm sure we can."

Also, currently reading through three books. Going to do an end-of-the-year reading list like real litgeeks do, and so I need to finish one of the three soon so I can tack it on to my page count before the end of the year. I'm sure this will be the first year I've read more than twenty books since high school, so when my list falls woefully short of the lists all the cool kids post this January, keep in mind that just getting myself back into the habit of reading with everything else I've had going on has been a colossal achievement in my little world.

In closing: I intend to get my computer fixed this week. I miss working on my own story, and for some reason I don't want to use the lappy. Possibly because it's not mine. Nevertheless, the combination of Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series and this fantastic "With Lyrics" video from Brentalfloss have really got the creative juices going. Just gotta get the compy fixed. And manage to stay awake when the opportunity present itself. And take care of family while preparing for the show I'm supposedly directing in the spring.

It'll happen, kids. Oh, it will happen.